Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Vultures

According to Wikipedia vultures are scavenging birds that feed mostly on the carcasses of dead animals. The word ‘vulture’ can also be used to describe residents who are in need of performing procedures that they have not done (enough) yet. As of today, I am one.

Of course he did not need the pleural tap today even though the GP had urged us to do it anyway. If I had decided to give him an appointment tomorrow it would have been fine and nothing bad would have happened to him, such as death. But I would not be there tomorrow. And pleural taps are high on my wanted list.

So I persuaded my supervisor to do it today. Why? Because it would be much more comfortable for the patient. What other reason could there be?

Besides me being the vulture praying on a patient only to perform the pleural tap…

No comments:

Post a Comment