Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Deja Vu

Scene 1:

An interview between a patient and a medical student:

P: Where are your from, Jing?

MS: Malaysia.

P: owh, that’s a fantastic place! i’ve been to ….. …..*continues on*

MS: *agreeing and chipping in from time to time*

P: well, I just came around from out of town too not so long ago. And I do know a few of medical students and they are cool! We’d went out a few times having quite some fun too!!

MS: I see. That must be interesting to get to know medical students.

P: Yes they do! We’d hang out at times. Why don’t you give me your contact and maybe we can go out together sometime?

MS: Err.. yeah *hesitantly*

*GP intervenes*

Scene 2:

P: Hi, I am XX.  I wanna chat with you.

MS: Hi, I am Jing. What do you wanna talk about?

P: Oh, just wanna chat with you. Can I?

MS: Yeah sure. That’s not a problem.

P: Are your the new nurse here?

MS:  nope. I’m a medical student actually.

P: owh that’s great! *continues on chatting*

MS: *provides appropriate replies*

During midway of conversation,

P: Where are you from?

MS: Malaysia. How bout you?

P: I am from Malaysia too! I’m from Kuching…

*Chat continues on about the good malaysian food around*

P: I should have your contact. So when we are free we can go out. Dont worry, I am fine.

MS: I’m sorry. I can’t give you that. That’s the policy that I have to follow.

P: oh.. okay then.. *before being interrupted by the staff nurse*

Call it coincidence, but it did happen.

The first scene was merely nothing. A perfectly constructed trap by the simulated patient during the rigged interview aimed only at that particularly goody good boy medical student who’d never said no to patients. Abruptly stopped intentionally by the GP who was assessing the interview, only to have the medical student be told to be firm and learn when to say no. Though phone numbers might not be exchanged. A promise is a promise. Hence to break it would be a sin.

Scene 2: A perfect re-enactment of the previous encounter. The only difference is. The patient is for real. The setting is real, right within the wards in front of the nurses office. And this time. I have learnt. What’s more its a bipolar patient!! You’d never want a mentally ill patient to be too good friends with you.

[Via http://jingguo.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment